Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Thing 7: Web 2.0 Communication Tools

Email: I'm drowning in electrons! But,I am getting better at "use then lose" with my email. I am trying to go through the current day's inbox and sent items to delete all unnecessary items. I also have a "sent items to keep" folder (which I just accessed yesterday and last week) for stuff I'm not ready to throw away. I really think this information management is an important thing we need to teach staff to do/share tips and tricks (not that they have any time to read them).

IM: I have done this mainly with family members through Gmail's chat feature. In my job as an LMS, I am moving around so much, that IM isn't really any faster than my email, which I always check whenever I have a spare few minutes at my desk. I have tried the IM/chat type reference with the Hennepin County Library as part of one of my MLIS classes, and I did really like how well that worked. That would be a fun way to do the reference desk for me, since it is almost real-time, but I would have a minute to collect my thoughts or do a "street shout-out" (supposing I would have a co-worker nearby).

SMS: I have trouble envisioning the use of text messaging in a school library, especially elementary, setting. High school...yeah, maybe, colleges - for sure! Our district currently bans cell phones in class. Also, it would seem to "require" someone to sit at a computer, or have a phone attached to them at all times. Since school librarians are also teachers, it would be hard to be teaching and have text messages coming in the whole time. I don't think I'll be texting other teachers any time soon...mostly I don't want them to know my cell phone number! :)

Web Conferencing: I really like webinars! I like being able to sit at my desk with my (Caribou)coffee, run out to help a student if needed, then come back and continue with the lesson. I am definitely a life-long learner! I have learned about CultureGrams and I first heard of PBWiki over a webinar. Very fun! I also like that they are usually free of charge! And no rush hour traffic!

No comments: