Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Thing 12: Do you Digg?

I am feeling completely overwhelmed! All this news that I am "missing" out on...or not. I will confess that I have placed myself in a news-free bubble for the most part. There is just too much horrible stuff out there - and of course, that is all you hear about on the news. So with that perspective, maybe these sites could help me to hear about some wonderful news for a change. But my perusal tonight seemed to just offer up more of the same nauseating pile of excess and fear. And then to read everyones commentary...just more prattle.

OK, am I just in a bad mood tonight or what?

I don't see much use for these sites in my current role as elementary LMS, other than fodder for lunch room discussion or being seen as a cool teacher in the know. I can definitely see how it would be practical to scan them daily before your shift on the public library reference desk, just as the narrative for this thing suggested that librarians previously did with newspapers.

For me personally, these are productivity detractors. I could easily get lost in the latest Hollywood insanity or in my quest to find something redeeming that happened in the world today.

No comments: