Monday, April 14, 2008

Thing 17: ELM

#1 - I set up a search alert with no problem. After reading so many comments throughout these 23 Things about schools blocking so many of these sites/activities, I am so thankful for the policies in the Osseo District (279) that are so minimal in the area of blocking!! I accessed ELM though the district's virtual media center and there was no "proxy" getting in the way. My PLC is working with reading strategies, so that was my search in Academic Search Premier. I added it to my Google Reader. (the great and powerful Google!)



#2 & #3 - I am not yet sure why I would want to have my own web page - especially one that seems static (needs to be downloaded and is only available from wherever I saved it), like the one I created in Academic Search Premier through the Page Composer. Perhaps this makes all the links live and available no matter where I am. But I think other tools like Google Reader and the Google "office" tools are more what I would move toward first. I'm open to suggestions, though.



#4 - When I tried to access NetLibrary through my district webpage, I could get to a log in screen, but was unsure how to log in. When I went in through the Hennepin County Library page, which I use regularly, I was immediately logged in, barcode validated, ready to search. As the LMS, it might be good for me to know how to access this stuff! (As a new LMS, I haven't yet been taught all this, or asked all the right questions yet!)

OK, so at first I was skeptical, cuz I just wasn't figuring it out! But now that I found a source on reading and made a note and saw how easy it was to access when I went back to it, I'm warming up to the idea. A teacher could save various content for younger students or older students could use this to organize their notes and sources for a paper. I will try using this for my PLC and for topics teachers ask for help on.

No comments: