Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thing 15: Libraries and Games

As I wait for Puzzle Pirates to download, I wonder if students are able (and if they already have)downloaded this on school computers? I found students playing Moon Base last week for Friday Fun - what (I could see) they were doing was pretty innocuous, but it definitely had potential for misuse...or at least global chat. (Yikes!) That, and they had to click on a pop-up saying they were older than 13 - I don't think so.

But I digress... Puzzle Pirates took several minutes to download. My poor laptop already needs brain surgery, and then I keep loading things like this on it! Poor baby! I always like creating my own characters online - a techy version of paper dolls and coloring pages. I like that the avatar can walk easily on it's own, versus Second Life where you need to learn to walk and fly. This is a pretty straightforward game. I liked the Bilging game, but could see my students quickly becoming bored with it. It was fun to begin exploring the island. I did see that this game was for 13+.

I would like to offer this sort of gaming experience in my media center, but with all the students being under 13 - it is really difficult. I am also struggling with this at home with my DD who just turned 12. She is truly mature enough and savvy enough to navigate the gaming world and the YouTube and the Facebook world...I know not all are...but the world is becoming more technology oriented. How long do we keep holding students back in the name of protecting them? I don't mind so much at work as the "in loco parentis" - but what about when I am just the loco parent?

No comments: