Sunday, April 13, 2008

Thing 21: Other social networks

I like Ning - it is like Facebook for grown ups who want a little more than a twittered comment on the current happenings in your friends lives. It does require more input from the user, but that is also the beauty - you can set it up any way you like. I am starting to like the running list of updates as well - at first that seemed so random and it bugged me.

It seems like Ning would be a good collaboration tool. I see that someone has suggested using it as an online bookclub site. I am curious how this would work with (pre)teens. What are the security features offered by the site? My principal is pretty leary of the whole online world with our elementary students (I would like to use it with students 3rd grade and up - and perhaps even 2nd grade - it might inspire them to work on their keyboard skills to have a "real" project going.)

No comments: